Pages

Monday, June 13, 2011

The Left Turn Ahead

Ok, so let me put this into a crystalline perspective:
It's the early morning hours of the day after Wet Grad. I've been sleeping, for the past 3 hours, on the top bed of a friend of mines camper.
With partial indifference, I observe all 3 of the people I was sleeping with waltz out of the camper at around 5:30 in the morning, and then nod-off again.

When I wake up, still in the same bed, the camper is moving.
Still slightly drunk and high (with the effects of both slowly wearing off, but combining with the hypnotic trance of sleep deprivation) I wake-up from a strange dream, and wonder if I'm still dreaming.
Content that my friends are probably driving the camper, I nod-off once again despite the campers erratic jumps as it lurches over pebbles, sand, and sharp rocks along the make-shift dirt road leading to our destination.

When I wake-up once again, I begin to wonder if the camper has simply rolled away with me inside. I picture the 2 friends of mine still standing at the campsite repeating the words 'oh shit, oh shit, oh shit!' over and over again as they hopelessly mull over what to do to remedy the situation.
This thought... understandably... alarms me, so I climb out from under the bouncing covers and drag myself over to the camper door, about to open it before I stop myself and say- dude, what the fuck. Don't be a fucking idiot. Leave the door alone.

I decide to do a bit of an experiment as to gauge whether the camper has drivers or not, and climb back up to the bed, and open the front curtains.
Up ahead, I see a generally sharp bend.
This is it.

If the camper keeps going straight, and cascades itself into the endless bush ahead, not only is it likely that my life could be over (and just after Grad... what sweet fucking irony that would have been), it's likely that, at this speed, I would come out with at least a couple serious injuries were I still present in the arena of existence.
But if it turns, on the other hand... I have absolutely nothing to worry about, and I can go back to sleep, content in the knowledge that the camper isn't lacking human operation.

The moments leading up to the bend feel like forever, as I subconsciously begin to come to terms with the fact that this may be the end.

At the last second-
The camper turns.
What luck that was.

At this point... I begin to laugh, and berate myself for my intoxicated naivety.
The entire experience was somewhat beautiful, however. It was like something I would read out of a book of existential short stories concerning life and death.

Sometimes, fucking with your brain is the best thing you can do for yourself.
As long as you do so in moderation.

Just remember-
There's probably a driver. So don't worry about it.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

The world is meaningless,

there is no God or gods, there are no morals, the universe is not moving inexorably towards any higher purpose.
All meaning is man-made, so make your own, and make it well.
Do not treat life as a way to pass the time until you die.
Do not try to "find yourself", you must make yourself.
Choose what you want to find meaningful and live, create, love, hate, cry, destroy, fight and die for it.
Do not let your life and your values and your actions slip easily into any mold, other that that which you create for yourself, and say with conviction, "This is who I make myself".
Do not give in to hope.
Remember that nothing you do has any significance beyond that with which you imbue it.
Whatever you do, do it for its own sake.
When the universe looks on with indifference, laugh, and shout back, "Fuck You!".
Rembember that to fight meaninglessness is futile, but fight anyway, in spite of and because of its futility.
The world may be empty of meaning, but it is a blank canvas on which to paint meanings of your own.
Live deliberately. You are free.