Pages

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Psychological Dogma of the Personal Horoscope

I came to a sudden realization only about an hour ago.
Ever since I discovered horoscopes about 5 or 6 years ago, I've kept an eye on them, just to see what they've had to say, and record how accurate they've been. In many ways, they seemed to have a lot of truth to them. I mean, they are so vague as to cause anyone to relate to them. Try it, if you can. Say you're a Gemini, like me. Switch your horoscope for the day with that of a Libra, or a Scorpio, or an Aquarius. If you can fool yourself into at least partially believing that each one is your personal horoscope, you will find that you can relate to them all in the same capacity as you can relate to your actual star-sign due to their vagueness. You'll also realize that, if you truly believe you're a Scorpio on an Aquarius, you will begin to feel and become as they are explained to be.

I did a bit of an experiment. I read up on a few different star-signs, mine included. I wrote down the days of birth in which each applied, and then went on to my Facebook and began checking the birth-dates of both close friends, as well as acquaintances. For all of my close friends, I could find things in their personal horoscopes that could definitely be related to them, but in general, I found many things to be quite contrary. If there is any truth to horoscopes, I think they can be overridden by self-development and an open-mind, because the only people I found that really lived-up to their horoscopes were the ones who I knew had never really taken the time to diversely transform and take complete control of themselves... and even in those people, I found many things to either be semi-accurate, too vague to really tell, or just straight-up wrong, at least from my outside perspective.

I think some people tend to live-up to their horoscopes due to the simple fact that they read them, and subscribe to them as truth, or at the least, a semi-truth. As such, they find good qualities in themselves that they can be proud of, and bad qualities they have an excuse not to avoid, because they believe them to be totally inevitable in being.

It's like religion. If you truly believe in something, then your personal perspective will change to suit that belief, and in a way, make it seem as if it is true. If you truly believe in your horoscope, it will manifest itself within your personality, and you may come to believe that it is the truth, despite the fact that it is only semi-accurate due to your psychological subscription to it. I found that could happen to me from time to time, and not always in a bad context.
I've always been on the rocks in believing in horoscopes, yet I've always observed them with an open-mind, combined with the benefit of the doubt. This has helped me in both resiting their influence, to some degree, as well as opening my mind to a limited influence from them.

In retrospect, I remember many times when I was having a good day, and then I read my horoscope, which said my day wasn't going to be that fantastic and -shazam!- it transformed into a not-so good day. Ah, the power of the human mind.
The same occurred in the opposite direction as well. I remember days that weren't so good, but then I read my horoscope, which said it was going to be good day, and all of a sudden- it was a good day. Basically, all you have to do is choose what to believe in.

I'm considering distancing myself entirely from horoscopes, as so I'm not psychologically affected by their mysterious and seemingly omnipotent influence, which I know to be a poisonous delusion, but a prominent one none-the-less. Still, they can be fun and/or comforting to look at from time to time, like playing video-games or watching TV.

Just remember, however... none of us are as crazy as all of us, and just because many people may believe the same thing, by no means makes it true. Think for yourself. I think I finally understand the idea that you are not your thoughts, and you're very much less someone else's thoughts.

2 comments:

  1. My daily horoscope on facebook is a day late and I love it. Instead of predicting my day, I look back on what happened the last day and compare. There's no truth to them; of course, even having recognized that, there's a part of our minds that cling to the coincidences anyways - we are pattern-recognizing machines.

    And then there's another thing - having figured out that your day will fit your expectations, can you will yourself to have a good day? I think that would be an interesting experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that's true. And it CAN be entertaining to check them out.. but they ARE total bullshit. Saying there was any real truth or validity to them would be saying Star Wars really happened somewhere in the Universe... and although it's possible, I'm 99.99999% sure it didn't.

    And yeah, you CAN will yourself to have a good day, and have a good day, just like you can do it in the opposite direction as well, whether that will is subconscious or conscious.
    Any negative person may find it unnatural to change their subconscious will do become positive.. and there is always that interim period where they have to consciously control their thoughts, actions, and replies... but within a month, at most, in most cases, that change manifests itself subconsciously, and continues to cement itself there even deeper as time moves forward. It's the same for all kinds of conscious change.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

The world is meaningless,

there is no God or gods, there are no morals, the universe is not moving inexorably towards any higher purpose.
All meaning is man-made, so make your own, and make it well.
Do not treat life as a way to pass the time until you die.
Do not try to "find yourself", you must make yourself.
Choose what you want to find meaningful and live, create, love, hate, cry, destroy, fight and die for it.
Do not let your life and your values and your actions slip easily into any mold, other that that which you create for yourself, and say with conviction, "This is who I make myself".
Do not give in to hope.
Remember that nothing you do has any significance beyond that with which you imbue it.
Whatever you do, do it for its own sake.
When the universe looks on with indifference, laugh, and shout back, "Fuck You!".
Rembember that to fight meaninglessness is futile, but fight anyway, in spite of and because of its futility.
The world may be empty of meaning, but it is a blank canvas on which to paint meanings of your own.
Live deliberately. You are free.