Pages

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Affairs as of Late

Well, cyberspace, I apologize once again for my momentary lapse in making addresses to the blogging world. I've been busy either relaxing, or spending time with what a friend of mine's horoscope described as his 'true-blue' friends.

For the most part, I've been quite happy and content, but in the complex intertwining of a still slightly developing teenage sense of self, there are momentary lapses in self-confidence and self-esteem, which are, of course, nothing new to myself or anyone else around my age.
You know the days...
Those days when you wake up at a friends place after spending the night, feeling kind've gross due to the fact that you didn't brush your teeth the night before, and you feel greasy due to not being able to shower or change out of the same clothes you've been wearing since yesterday morning.
It seems when you look in the mirror, the extra frizz on the top of your hair is more obviously outspoken than usual, even after a shake and a brush; and the gray rings underneath your eyes seem much more pronounced than you are usually used to noticing. Superficially, and at some mental degree, it doesn't really matter to you; but then theirs that part of the mind that governs social interaction that's telling you that you're not looking up-to-par with the rest of society.

Also, I've been back to school, and I'd honestly have to say that 3 out of my 4 classes are quite good and exactly to my satisfaction, even if my Psychology class isn't quite to my expectations in the sense of social interaction, as it's filled with a majority of people I either don't know, or just so happen to be the richer, generally more attractive side of the school society admirably nicknamed 'preps.' As for the fourth class, I'd honestly have to say it's my least favorite for a legion of reasons, the first and most obvious being that it's a math class; but that's hardly what I consider the problem so much as it's the fact that it's a Grade 10 Math class, and I just so happen to be a Grade 12 on my final year of high-school.
Now, that's not to say that I have any real problem with the age difference (in fact, 2 of my ex-girlfriends just so happen to be in the class, and luckily we all maintain good friendships between one-another), but I do conform in a sense to the school culture that people are part of their Grade's, and frankly, I feel completely out of place and a little embarrassed to be sitting in a class of a 2 year difference, which I was technically supposed to have done 2 years prior in the first place.

Some of you are probably going to (rightfully) assume that I must have failed somewhere along the line, and as such, am required to repeat the course. In reality, I never took that specific course in the first place. In Grade 9, I requested to be put in a simplified (Essentials) math course instead of the 'mainstream' (Principals) course, in an attempt to escape having to do math to any serious degree, and opting instead to simply scrape by until I could be finally free of such a burdensome course in Grade 11. Through some sudden sense of real intelligence, I realized I may, in fact, need the Principals course for future use, and decided to join the Introduction to Mathematics course as to transition back into the Principals course for the end of Grade 10. Half-way through the first semester, they split the Intro course in half, with certain people being above a certain percentage, and the other half below. I was in the group that was below, and as such, all of us were taken to a smaller room, in which we were given access to more one-on-one time with the teacher as to assist us further in learning.
By the end of the semester, everyone in the class had practically given up on any serious effort in the course, and the teacher decided to have us do a 2-week crash course in the Grade 10 Essentials course, as so we could at least take the Essentials exam and not need to take the course in the following semester. Needless to say, I passed the course, and passed Essentials of Math 10, moving on to Essentials 11 the next year.

Following the completion of my Essentials 11 course in the first semester of last year, we had a presentation of University and Colleges in the surrounding regions, and I decided to see what the requirements would be for the University of Victoria (UVIC), the school I'd had my eyes on for quite awhile, as I'm smart in a political, philosophical, historical, musical and poetic sense (but not in the sense of math), and discovered that I would be required to have Principals of Mathematics 11 to do absolutely any course at the University. In anguish, I decided I'd pursue the goal regardless, and signed up for Principals 10 and 11 for my Grade 12 year, asking for the Grade 10 course to be taken online (which, as obvious, I got in a classroom instead).
Basically, in my mission to cut down and possibly avoid math entirely, I ended up prolonging my need to endure it.

Hopefully, this calculated conundrum works out to my wanted specifications (and I apologize for the terrible pun). Until next time, peace out blue planet!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

The world is meaningless,

there is no God or gods, there are no morals, the universe is not moving inexorably towards any higher purpose.
All meaning is man-made, so make your own, and make it well.
Do not treat life as a way to pass the time until you die.
Do not try to "find yourself", you must make yourself.
Choose what you want to find meaningful and live, create, love, hate, cry, destroy, fight and die for it.
Do not let your life and your values and your actions slip easily into any mold, other that that which you create for yourself, and say with conviction, "This is who I make myself".
Do not give in to hope.
Remember that nothing you do has any significance beyond that with which you imbue it.
Whatever you do, do it for its own sake.
When the universe looks on with indifference, laugh, and shout back, "Fuck You!".
Rembember that to fight meaninglessness is futile, but fight anyway, in spite of and because of its futility.
The world may be empty of meaning, but it is a blank canvas on which to paint meanings of your own.
Live deliberately. You are free.