Pages

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Chronic Skipping

Who am I, and what am I?
I am Kyran Paterson-King, and I am a chronic skipper.

For those of you who are not familiar with the term, being a 'skipper' means you don't attend classes at school when you decide you don't want to attend classes at school, no matter how 'important' they may be.
A lot of people see skippers in a bad light, assuming them to be lazy, and bad when it comes to academic progress. Now, some skippers may be lazy, and as such, that could lead to their being bad when it comes to academic progress, but honestly... out of the 2, I am very good at academic progress. I don't find myself to be lazy overall, but I do support laziness. Not to the point where it becomes self-destructive, but to the point where it denies the idea of a linear schedule from time to time, in favor of unstructured time, which I find is good for intellectual growth and stimulation, as well as good for maintenance of physical health.

Now, I'm going to admit, not every time I skip is in favor of unstructured time on my part; sometimes I skip for the purpose of a creative pursuit. For example: lets say its 8:45 AM, and my class starts at 9 AM. I am eight blocks away at home, and have really got into writing a new blog post, or poem, or something of that nature. Quickly, I make the conscious decision that said creative pursuit is more important to me than guitar class, or psychology class, or even English class. As such, I decide to stay home and finish what it is I started while I still have the motivational drive, instead of letting it die-out as I sit restlessly in my desk for an hour or two.

Some people, most prominently my parents, yet occasionally my teachers, tell me that my "blatant disregard for school," as well as my "chronic skipping," will "never be tolerated in the job world." I'd have to say I agree, but that doesn't stop me from laughing abit as I quickly remind them that, although I see the benefits of education, those benefits are mine for the taking. I don't get paid to sit in class all day, despite the fact that it may be a privilege.
When it comes to a job, I probably would force my hand away from any creative pursuit I've really gotten in to, simply due to the fact that I am going to a place where they reward me for my work with a currency I can use to feed my creative pursuit even further, if I so wish.
All school does, in the long run, is open you up to more possibilities of being schooled. And to earn that future privilege, I must sit in a class room for 6 hours and 15 minutes a day, 5 days a week, 10 months a year, for 12 years (even if I am on the 12th and final year).

I hated schedules enough as it was; imagine how much I hate one that dictates a large portion of my actions for 12 whole years.

Another thing I dislike, is when a teacher asks for a note saying why you were absent.
It's not that I disagree with her asking, but when you admit that you have no excuse, she really shouldn't pursue it. All she should be doing is suggesting that you show her a note, so it isn't put down as an unexcused absence on the system. If you don't have a note, then so be it, you've earned another unexcused absence. That should be your problem, and your loss.
But my English teacher, for example, instead demands that you go to the office and get a note from the vice-principal saying that you'll get a note tomorrow. What the hell? If this is some way to inform my parents of my absence, don't you already call my home every time I turn out not being there?
Most of the time, I simply tell her I'm not going to, and keep doing so quite mild-mannerly throughout the entire class, until she simply forgets, and the class simply ends without her asking once again.

Next time she demands a note, I'm going to tell her the obvious truth: I am an independent being of this planet Earth, not a subjugate of this school.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

The world is meaningless,

there is no God or gods, there are no morals, the universe is not moving inexorably towards any higher purpose.
All meaning is man-made, so make your own, and make it well.
Do not treat life as a way to pass the time until you die.
Do not try to "find yourself", you must make yourself.
Choose what you want to find meaningful and live, create, love, hate, cry, destroy, fight and die for it.
Do not let your life and your values and your actions slip easily into any mold, other that that which you create for yourself, and say with conviction, "This is who I make myself".
Do not give in to hope.
Remember that nothing you do has any significance beyond that with which you imbue it.
Whatever you do, do it for its own sake.
When the universe looks on with indifference, laugh, and shout back, "Fuck You!".
Rembember that to fight meaninglessness is futile, but fight anyway, in spite of and because of its futility.
The world may be empty of meaning, but it is a blank canvas on which to paint meanings of your own.
Live deliberately. You are free.