Pages

Monday, March 14, 2011

Emotional Consistency

It's something some people have a serious issue with... whether it's due to manic depression, bipolar disorder, or simply just who they happen to be... some people are able to simply switch from one radical emotion to the next, given the proper circumstances.

I believe everyone is capable of it, in some regard; but some people simply prefer the alternative, it gives them a control over themselves they would not possess otherwise. I can definitely see the appeal, and in some circumstances, I wish I was able to switch back-and-forth between emotions on the spot, but luckily (in my opinion), I possess a strong sense of emotional consistency. I believe possessing such a trait plays a large part in leading a generally happy and fulfilling life, and I'll tell you why.

A healthy sense of emotional consistency causes you to say less of what you don't mean, or what you soon won't mean. When I'm in love with someone, I am in love with them regardless of certain misfortunes that may occur, and I prefer to say that I love someone, and mean it 2 weeks to a month, or even a year and a half later, as much as I did the first time around, regardless of what may have occurred. This does not bar me from removing 'undesirable' people from my life, although it does mean it takes one hell of a lot on someone else's part to become what I see as an undesirable person. In the event that I did indeed remove someone from my life, like a friend whose gone rouge in being pointlessly hurtful, or has become a bully of some sort, if I had told them I loved them as a friend, I would still mean that for at least a couple months, until those feelings faded from my life alongside they, themselves. Either that, or they committed an unforgivable deed against myself, or someone else... in which case, not only would they be expelled from my life, they would lose the respect and love I once had for them. This could also occur with a 'forgivable' deed; the difference being what was suggested, that it is forgivable, and if said person proves themselves, they could potentially regain my love and respect for them.

I find people who lack emotional consistency, whether of their own accord or not, to possess a default aura of untrustworthiness, at least when it comes to being very good friends or romantic partners with them. In more of a distant sense, they are just as trustworthy as anyone else. The problem with them is that they lack the same respect I and other emotionally consistent individuals possess regarding matters of the heart, as they are, or would prefer to be transitory in those regards.
People who lack emotional consistency also lack the ability to differentiate between what they mean at a given moment from what they mean in a general sense. I have trained myself to differentiate between the two, and only say what I know I'll mean 2 to 4 months from the day I said it.

Yes, a sense of emotional consistency does indeed lead to sadness sticking around a bit longer, but it also leads to happiness sticking around for much longer as well, and with the right tools in hand, it is easy to pull ones self out of a bought of sadness, and into the ever-flowing current of happiness; just don't expect instant gratification, like those who lack this trait. It is a given that those who possess emotional consistency are stronger, in that sense, than those that live at the whim of their radical emotions, second by second. Some enjoy such a life, while others search for ways around it. For those who are looking for the alternative, I sincerely hope you find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

The world is meaningless,

there is no God or gods, there are no morals, the universe is not moving inexorably towards any higher purpose.
All meaning is man-made, so make your own, and make it well.
Do not treat life as a way to pass the time until you die.
Do not try to "find yourself", you must make yourself.
Choose what you want to find meaningful and live, create, love, hate, cry, destroy, fight and die for it.
Do not let your life and your values and your actions slip easily into any mold, other that that which you create for yourself, and say with conviction, "This is who I make myself".
Do not give in to hope.
Remember that nothing you do has any significance beyond that with which you imbue it.
Whatever you do, do it for its own sake.
When the universe looks on with indifference, laugh, and shout back, "Fuck You!".
Rembember that to fight meaninglessness is futile, but fight anyway, in spite of and because of its futility.
The world may be empty of meaning, but it is a blank canvas on which to paint meanings of your own.
Live deliberately. You are free.