Pages

Friday, May 20, 2011

On Boredom


Talking to friends via Facebook or MSN, I’ve asked them ‘whats up?’ and had the response, ‘oh, not to much, just being bored’ to a degree that seems unnaturally staggering to me; before I respond in kind with that I’m up too, I say to them, ‘Don’t be bored!’ only to be told-off with “Kyran, why do you have such an issue with boredom?”
And man, why do I have such an issue with boredom? Where the hell do I start?
Boredom, in most cases, is experienced by privileged individuals living in the rich international phenomenon known as the ‘Western world,’ where we have clean, running water, television, video games, the internet, computers, health-care, school, libraries, and democracies to name only a few of our major benefits. But that’s not my only issue with boredom. 
Were a poor African farm-boy to tell me he was bored, I would think along the same lines as I do when my incredibly privileged friends tell me the same thing, because boredom is like saying to yourself and the world that ‘All of this isn’t enough.’
And when the world you live in just isn’t enough… when your life is dull… you are not living any sort of ideal; you are becoming selfish and inwards. 
‘All of this isn’t enough.’
I’d say I’m pretty fucking privileged to be here. Life is a matter of a miracle that is collected over time by moments flabbergasted to be in each others presence. During the Second World War, my grandfather went to a Ballroom Dance in Liverpool because that was where he just so happened to be stationed. While there, he met a sweet young lady named Lucy whom he danced with for the rest of the night. To be brief and skip about 5 years in-between, they ended up getting married and having their first child, Christopher, in 1956. Christopher grew up in England until he was 12, after which my grandfather got a job as an engineer working with an oil company in Zambia, which is where they departed too and ended up living for a fair amount of years. During their time there, Lucy and my grandfather, Clifford, had a second child named Paul. 
Eventually, Christopher moved back to England to live with his aunt and uncle as so he could attend a boarding school in the county of Kent. 
To make this briefer, lets skip forward a few years… after the family has been re-united and has moved to the small town of Powell River. There, Christopher finishes his high-schooling and moves down the coast to Vancouver. During his 2 decades in the city, he attended a party and met a woman named Patricia. They hit it off, and, wha-la, 2 or 3 years later they’re married, and a year or 2 after that, they have their first child… me. Kyran Paterson-King.
I’d call that chain of coincidence pretty fucking amazing… and it’s happening all the time. And for me, it’s more than enough… this life is such an incredible privilege. Being conscious and biologically alive is an incredible phenomena on it’s own… I am pretty Goddamn thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

The world is meaningless,

there is no God or gods, there are no morals, the universe is not moving inexorably towards any higher purpose.
All meaning is man-made, so make your own, and make it well.
Do not treat life as a way to pass the time until you die.
Do not try to "find yourself", you must make yourself.
Choose what you want to find meaningful and live, create, love, hate, cry, destroy, fight and die for it.
Do not let your life and your values and your actions slip easily into any mold, other that that which you create for yourself, and say with conviction, "This is who I make myself".
Do not give in to hope.
Remember that nothing you do has any significance beyond that with which you imbue it.
Whatever you do, do it for its own sake.
When the universe looks on with indifference, laugh, and shout back, "Fuck You!".
Rembember that to fight meaninglessness is futile, but fight anyway, in spite of and because of its futility.
The world may be empty of meaning, but it is a blank canvas on which to paint meanings of your own.
Live deliberately. You are free.