Pages

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Tumblr and Possibilianism

It has indeed been awhile, Blogspot... and I apologize for that.
I have recently moved, for the most part, to Tumblr (as it demands much less formality and more 'spur of the moment' kind of things without seeming out-of-place amongst the many well-written articles within my blog).
But that doesn't mean I'm moving away from Blogspot; simply expanding.

Tumblr also allows for detailed insight into my personal life without sacrificing opinion and privacy.
But beyond all of this, I'd like to speak about my newly self-imposed label. I no longer consider myself vaguely 'Atheistic.' Let me give you a bit of a back-story...

When I was about 10, I was a casual and blatantly indifferent Christian due to the influence exercised over me by my casually Christian mother (prior to this, I'd say I was an agnostic by default, as I was blissfully unaware of religious and secular complexities and teachings). For about a year I indifferently followed the teachings of an Anglican Church, until around the time I was 12 when I began to question the Church using my recently discovered intellectual abilities which were still in their infantile stages of formation.
For over a year, I experienced an internal struggle as I began to realize most of the Church's teachings, however empathic and caring, were mostly rooted in bullshit mythologies and blind faith... in fact, that was what finally sparked my full disconnection from the Church; an incident in which I asked an entirely valid question and the response I got was, "is a little blind faith to much to ask?"

At this point, my limited perspective and rebellious attitude caused me to swing directly towards the beliefs of a strict atheist, in which I looked at all religions in a condescending light, and saw all religious individuals as deluded idiots who truly didn't understand the world or the universe they lived in, and simply used religion as a tool to fill their empty hearts and minds. One observation that I made at that time that sticks with me to this day, is the fact that any dogmatic religion is simply a license to stop looking for the true meaning (or meanings) of life, as one may simply not wish to search any further due to the intellectual hardships they may endeavor, or, perhaps, they fear they may look and discover that it is all truly meaningless in the end.
It is also a very real possibility that they are simply lazy. I believe it really depends on the person.

But getting back to the main story arc here, I ran into inevitable conflict at home with my mother who, at one point I remember, ended up slamming the door to my bedroom whilst screaming "Atheists don't get dinner!"
Kind of funny in retrospect.
Anyways, over time, I exposed myself to many different ideas, and my mind become much more open as my personal wisdom grew from that of an insecure 8th Grader to that of an eager and interested 11th Grader.
Although my personal label as an Atheist persisted until the first month of my Grade 12 year, I was already shifting towards separate possibilities with my increased understanding of quantum physics and religion alike.
In the end, my personal label only loosened slightly as I decided to alter it from "Atheist" to "Atheistic," which I thought to be more open to interpretation to those who might simply throw me off as close-minded to theirs and others ideas otherwise.

But a much more significant change occurred tonight, and it occurred in a flash; sort of like a personal revolution in which reform is introduced, yet the old and tried system is not entirely tossed-out, as it still has much credibility and successes of understanding in the past to boot.
No, I am not anywhere near becoming a Theist... but a certain little book has opened up my eyes to Voltaire's assertion that 'doubt may be uncomfortable, but certainty is absurd.'

That book is Sum by David Eagleman.

It has altered my outlook to this simple observation: we, as humans, know too much to adhere to any sort of religion, yet too little to adhere strictly to atheism... and although I can comprehend the idea of simply dying, I realize that I may be wrong and, like Bill Maher, I should preach the Bible of 'I don't know, and neither do you, so stop pretending you do know,' (which is where the 'Atheistic' part of this following label still applies, as I wish to differentiate myself from all established world religions and established religious beliefs, yet not entirely discount their credibility in comparison to anything else anyone could believe in).

It is for these reasons that I now declare myself an 'Atheistic Possibilian.'   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

The world is meaningless,

there is no God or gods, there are no morals, the universe is not moving inexorably towards any higher purpose.
All meaning is man-made, so make your own, and make it well.
Do not treat life as a way to pass the time until you die.
Do not try to "find yourself", you must make yourself.
Choose what you want to find meaningful and live, create, love, hate, cry, destroy, fight and die for it.
Do not let your life and your values and your actions slip easily into any mold, other that that which you create for yourself, and say with conviction, "This is who I make myself".
Do not give in to hope.
Remember that nothing you do has any significance beyond that with which you imbue it.
Whatever you do, do it for its own sake.
When the universe looks on with indifference, laugh, and shout back, "Fuck You!".
Rembember that to fight meaninglessness is futile, but fight anyway, in spite of and because of its futility.
The world may be empty of meaning, but it is a blank canvas on which to paint meanings of your own.
Live deliberately. You are free.