Pages

Sunday, November 4, 2012

97% of the people I love the most

are now spread in places near and far throughout the globe.

For example: 

a best friend of mine is on his way to Thailand as I write these words;

my most recent ex-girlfriend I haven't spoken too since last June is now living in London

the girl I had a fling with the summer afterwards is now in North Vancouver;

another friend of mine ended up in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania for schooling, and the guy she had a thing with, also a good friend of mine, now lives in Winnipeg...

but, it seems, despite this wide diversification of location.. the majority of my core-group of high-school friends departed to the city of Victoria successively over the course of the past year and a half. 
At the beginning of last month, 3 of my very best and oldest friends left for their new home in Oak Bay, Victoria. As well.. an ex-girlfriend of mine who is now one of my best friends has been living there since not long after graduation. 

The list goes on and on and on; but the point is, I have only 3 or 4 best friends left in this hometown of mine. One is a co-worker of 40 who I only recently met, and I can tell he has no designs on leaving Powell River for a very long time due to his position with a house and a wife.. another 2 are a couple who are, at the least, speaking of an intent to leave come this summer, most likely for a cross-Canada road trip. Another best friend proves to be elusive as hell most of the time, and as far as I know he has remained in Powell River, but has spoken of going to work on railroads in Alberta, or run off to partake in a solo road-trip throughout British Columbia.  

It feels like all this radical uplift and diverse movement going on in my midst is some sort of telling sign; I know I want more than anything to leave this sleepy town and expand my horizons as 97% of my greatest friends have already begun doing. But I've decided on practicing restraint and practicality in the name of a job.

However, just to remind myself as I don't lose sight of my coming plans to radical movement and diversification in my life.. I plan on visiting friends in Victoria either later this month, or early December.. I'll be headed to England for 3 weeks with the family in March, and have a week to potentially explore Ireland or France.. I'll be headed to my second Diversity festival on Texada Island come July.. and I'll be off to independence and reunification with the majority of my closest friends in Victoria come September, as well as starting classes at Camosun College.

So, despite my perception of a serious lull and the accompanying melancholy which makes me feel as if it was me that moved away from everyone, as opposed to everyone away from me.. I would only be denying the rich experiences still left here in Powell River if I simply focus, teary-eyed, on the past, when everyone departed.. the present, missing them as it was.. and the future, impatient to shuffle myself away from home. It may recur every now and then, and it deserves the respect of a time and place.. but I don't need to grovel over it when I know I'll be looking back on these months a year from now in my new home wondering where it all went.

Perhaps I won't have the overt gratification of consistent parties, new friends, and potential girlfriends that I know the city would provide for me.. and which a part of me lusts for quite intensely from time to time.. but I will still have friends, incredible conversation, hundreds of immersive books, a creativity to hone, 2 incredibly interesting classes to attend come January, a rewarding job as well as job and financial security, a radio show to re-pursue, perhaps some incredible hiking escapades, and much to look forward to in the way of visits to Victoria, a trip to the British Isles, schooling, and moving away come September.

So I guess it's not that bad. 
It is, really, whatever I make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

The world is meaningless,

there is no God or gods, there are no morals, the universe is not moving inexorably towards any higher purpose.
All meaning is man-made, so make your own, and make it well.
Do not treat life as a way to pass the time until you die.
Do not try to "find yourself", you must make yourself.
Choose what you want to find meaningful and live, create, love, hate, cry, destroy, fight and die for it.
Do not let your life and your values and your actions slip easily into any mold, other that that which you create for yourself, and say with conviction, "This is who I make myself".
Do not give in to hope.
Remember that nothing you do has any significance beyond that with which you imbue it.
Whatever you do, do it for its own sake.
When the universe looks on with indifference, laugh, and shout back, "Fuck You!".
Rembember that to fight meaninglessness is futile, but fight anyway, in spite of and because of its futility.
The world may be empty of meaning, but it is a blank canvas on which to paint meanings of your own.
Live deliberately. You are free.