Pages

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

50 Questions That Will Free Your Mind: My Personal Response to Each.


1.       How old would you be if you didn’t know how old you are?
In many ways, you would be perceptively eternal. Not technically in the sense of your finite biological time on this earth, but in the sense that you would lack the awareness of your age, and would therefore lack the ability to properly calculate how much longer you would have to live. It would make life less of a game of calculation, and more of a time-lapse in which you wouldn't become aware that you were approaching death until you truly were approaching it.   
2.      Which is worse, failing or never trying?
Never trying. Try, and when you try, give it your absolute all. You may fail, but it's much better to look back on your life and say, at the bare minimum, "At least I tried, and I gave it my all." And depending on what it is, "Try, try, and try again" may also be some valid and valuable advice to heed.
3.      If life is so short, why do we do so many things we don’t like and like so many things we don’t do?
Perspectives on personal limits. Much of it is society (although society is simply a collection of individuals influencing one another). Finances play a big role, but if one would really truly like to do something, one will discard of laziness and pursue what it is they'd like to do at their own pace. Another tip: think outside of the box, and suddenly, practically anything is possible given enough drive, creativity, and intention. 
4.      When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?
That really depends. Hopefully I have done more than I said, but this all depends on the context. If I were to die tomorrow? I think I would have done just about as much as I have said, but not necessarily have done all I would have liked to do, or said I would do. 
5.       What is the one thing you’d most like to change about the world?
The excuses people come up with to be selfish and greedy. That does not mean that one can't pursue personal goals for exclusive personal benefit, but one must balance this out with also giving in different ways, shapes, and forms. Personally, in the end, I would like to have given more than I got.
6.      If happiness was the national currency, what kind of work would make you rich?
Working as an artist of some sort, whether by writing, being a musician, or assisting everyone in seeing the absolute beauty and wonder of life. Perhaps all of the above.
7.       Are you doing what you believe in, or are you settling for what you are doing?
I'm not sure if what I'm doing is necessarily what I believe in. In the sense of my personal writing (such as this response to "Marc and Angel Hack Life,") I am most definitely doing what I believe in. This applies to all of my personal endeavors and personal relations. In the sense of a job, I have yet to make what I love to do work for me, but I don't dislike my current circumstances by any means. Eventually, they too will need to be altered, but I'll make the most of them while they remain.
8.      If the average human life span was 40 years, how would you live your life differently?
I would break many more rules and simply live, freely and truly. If I had such a guaranteed finite amount of time, it would probably accentuate my anarchist-leaning sentiments to the point that they would boil over. However, if 40 years was the average life expectancy and no one knew any better, I'm not sure what I would do. I would probably just look to speed-up any prolonging of certain conditions of life, such as school and work and whatnot. 
9.      To what degree have you actually controlled the course your life has taken?
Quite a large degree. I definitely created myself, and I look to eternally improve myself until the day that I die. 
10.    Are you more worried about doing things right, or doing the right things?
I am more worried about doing the right things, although both are important.. I am a strong believer in non-linearism. Let everyone find their own direction to the solution. You may give them pointers, and depending on what it is, even a deadline in which they must abide and discover the solution. But leave it in their hands, for the most part.
11.     You’re having lunch with three people you respect and admire.  They all start criticizing a close friend of yours, not knowing she is your friend.  The criticism is distasteful and unjustified.  What do you do?
Honestly? I would probably feel quite awkward, and would bring it up by asking them why said person is so bad, and inform them that they are not as bad as they are making them out to seem. In the end, however, it is up to them, and them only, what opinions they will hold on this friend of mine, as uncomfortable as I may be with it.
12.    If you could offer a newborn child only one piece of advice, what would it be?
"Never let go of that child-like intrigue, curiosity, and lust to discover."
13.    Would you break the law to save a loved one?
Yes, of course. Well, depending on what it is.
14.    Have you ever seen insanity where you later saw creativity?
I have in many places. I never saw absolute insanity in a condescending light... but when something doesn't make sense, it seems slightly insane at first whether we like it or not. I received much of the arts in this way, and have since discovered that the best kind of people on this planet are a little bit insane. And that's a beautiful thing.
15.     What’s something you know you do differently than most people?
I am blatantly outspoken, and I look to improve myself and the world around me. 
16.    How come the things that make you happy don’t make everyone happy?
What makes someone 'happy' is a case of personal taste. And my taste differs from others.
17.     What one thing have you not done that you really want to do?  What’s holding you back?
I have yet to travel the world. Finances are the main thing holding me back.
18.    Are you holding onto something you need to let go of?
Hmm.. probably, but not that I can think of. Everyone has their skeletons in the closet, I suppose.
19.    If you had to move to a state or country besides the one you currently live in, where would you move and why?
That's a good question. 
I guess I would move anywhere, really. I have no specific preference (or, I do, but I would be satisfied and happy anywhere). But for the sake of humoring everyone, I would move to Victoria, British Columbia because many of my friends are down there, many interesting people I'm sure I would like to meet, and whom would most likely enjoy meeting me as well live (or, perhaps, are visiting) down there, my significant other lives a single ferry-ride away, and it's a generally big city as well as a nice change of scenery and a new place to explore and discover.    
20.   Do you push the elevator button more than once?  Do you really believe it makes the elevator faster?
I usually only click it once. 
Unless the doors have yet to close after 30 seconds and the elevator has moved nowhere... in which case I will double-check to make sure I pushed it properly.
21.    Would you rather be a worried genius or a joyful simpleton?
Not to sound arrogant, but I think I encompass the best of both worlds in many regards... however, when I find something to worry about and I worry about it, I really worry about it. So for the sake of having to choose one, I suppose I would rather be a joyful simpleton. 
22.    Why are you, you?
Many different reasons.At one point, I was simply the result of a confluence of social forces (ex: my parents, my surroundings, the people I knew, the things that occurred to me), and although those all still play some part in who I am, I believe I have transcended most of it and created myself. Therefore, I am me because I chose to be me. 
23.    Have you been the kind of friend you want as a friend?
Yes, I believe so. There are the occasional issues, I suppose.. but I think I would very much enjoy being friends with me were I an external figure. I will admit, however... I, myself, am my own best friend.

24.    Which is worse, when a good friend moves away, or losing touch with a good friend who lives right near you?
That all depends on the context. There's usually a good reason for losing touch with someone who lives near you, so there being a good reason would make it worse in many regards. Maybe for the best... but still worse.

25.    What are you most grateful for?
Having the chance to exist, and existing right here and right now.

26.    Would you rather lose all of your old memories, or never be able to make new ones?
I would rather lose all my old memories and create new ones, I suppose... but that's a tough question to answer.
27.    Is is possible to know the truth without challenging it first?
No, it's not.
28.    Has your greatest fear ever come true?
No it hasn't.
I would say my greatest fear would be being physically and psychologically tortured? But I'm not entirely sure. I don't really have a 'greatest fear,' just a collection of smaller fears lacking an organized hierarchy, and I rarely ever dwell on them.
29.    Do you remember that time 5 years ago when you were extremely upset?  Does it really matter now?
No, I don't remember, but I'm sure I had sometime when I was extremely upset.
So no... it certainly doesn't matter now.
30.   What is your happiest childhood memory?  What makes it so special?
My happiest childhood memory is having been a child. That was a great privilege, and a great way to start my life.
31.    At what time in your recent past have you felt most passionate and alive?
Most of the time... probably the last time I was with my significant other would be the MOST passionate and alive, but I've felt significantly passionate and alive since.
32.    If not now, then when?
Good question. And if not now, then sometime soon.
33.    If you haven’t achieved it yet, what do you have to lose?
Nothing.
34.    Have you ever been with someone, said nothing, and walked away feeling like you just had the best conversation ever?
Yes, quite a few times. "That's when you know you've found somebody special. When you can just shut the fuck up for a minute and comfortably enjoy the silence." -Mia from Pulp Fiction.
35.    Why do religions that support love cause so many wars?
Reasons of intolerance and unalterable human imperfections, as well as the human tendency to polar opposition.
36.    Is it possible to know, without a doubt, what is good and what is evil?
No, it's not possible.
37.    If you just won a million dollars, would you quit your job?
Probably, yes. But that doesn't mean I would cease being productive; I would use that money to fund my efforts to do what I love to do, and let myself become richer. Once I had a secure income, I would begin giving much of that income away to charities, friends, and other positive endeavors.
38.    Would you rather have less work to do, or more work you actually enjoy doing?
More work I actually enjoy doing.
39.    Do you feel like you’ve lived this day a hundred times before?
Not really, no. I did just start an on-call job today, however.. so it may eventually feel like I've lived this day a hundred times before one day.
40.   When was the last time you marched into the dark with only the soft glow of an idea you strongly believed in?
When I graduated, and I believed (as I do still believe) that everything will soon workout, and I will be travelling to other parts of the globe within the next year and a half.
41.    If you knew that everyone you know was going to die tomorrow, who would you visit today?
My parents, by closest friends, my significant other, and myself.
42.    Would you be willing to reduce your life expectancy by 10 years to become extremely attractive or famous?
No.
43.    What is the difference between being alive and truly living?
Being alive is merely existing. It does not intrinsically entail enjoyment, joy, satisfaction, happiness, pleasure, appreciation, constant intrigue, discovery, or endeavor. Truly living includes all of this... sometimes all at once, and other times one, or a few at a time.
44.    When is it time to stop calculating risk and rewards, and just go ahead and do what you know is right?
All the time. This doesn't cease us from occasionally calculating regardless, but when it comes to many things, toss expectations aside and simply do it if you feel it.
45.    If we learn from our mistakes, why are we always so afraid to make a mistake?
Social taboo, and not wishing to regress, even if both are misinterpretations and if you treat mistakes right, they are more progressive then a lack thereof.
46.    What would you do differently if you knew nobody would judge you?
Very few things. For the most part, I don't really worry myself with what others think... but as a human being, sometimes I can't help it, and other times, I care anyways out of giving to their personal interests as opposed to mine. In the end, however, I am going to do what I think is right, and what I believe in over what anyone else thinks is right or believes I should do.
47.    When was the last time you noticed the sound of your own breathing?
An hour or so ago... but that's more because I've been experiencing sporadic respiratory problems as of late. In the sense of existentially noticing the sound of my own breathing... probably about 3 or 4 hours ago.
48.    What do you love?  Have any of your recent actions openly expressed this love?
I love life, I love my friends, I love my family. And yes, many of my recent actions have openly expressed this love.
49.    In 5 years from now, will you remember what you did yesterday?  What about the day before that?  Or the day before that?
I probably won't remember it specifically by the date, but yes, I think I will remember what I did yesterday, the day before, and the day before, etc.
50.    Decisions are being made right now.  The question is:  Are you making them for yourself, or are you letting others make them for you?
A mix of both. If a decision is made, or is in the process of being made, that, for some reason, I disagree with, I will make the decision to render the previous decision invalid and do what I believe is right, or what I would prefer for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

The world is meaningless,

there is no God or gods, there are no morals, the universe is not moving inexorably towards any higher purpose.
All meaning is man-made, so make your own, and make it well.
Do not treat life as a way to pass the time until you die.
Do not try to "find yourself", you must make yourself.
Choose what you want to find meaningful and live, create, love, hate, cry, destroy, fight and die for it.
Do not let your life and your values and your actions slip easily into any mold, other that that which you create for yourself, and say with conviction, "This is who I make myself".
Do not give in to hope.
Remember that nothing you do has any significance beyond that with which you imbue it.
Whatever you do, do it for its own sake.
When the universe looks on with indifference, laugh, and shout back, "Fuck You!".
Rembember that to fight meaninglessness is futile, but fight anyway, in spite of and because of its futility.
The world may be empty of meaning, but it is a blank canvas on which to paint meanings of your own.
Live deliberately. You are free.