Pages

Saturday, April 11, 2009

I Think Someone Hotwired your Intellectual Property

I will admit, I download alot of files for free using the loop-holes presented by hackers and pirates via the internet, and to be completely honest I feel absolutely no guilt in doing so.

Yes, I've seen the occasional ad shown before a big Hollywood production telling me that I wouldn't steal a purse, a car, or a DVD, and then it asks me what makes downloading movies and music any different from stealing those materials?

Well, in all honesty, I can see their point, they just don't do as good a job as they could in presenting it to the people; as I see it, stealing a purse, a car, or a DVD is physically taking something from someone as so they can't have it back, when 'stealing' off of the Internet may not be beneficial to the creator, but its not taking from them in any way.

I do understand the concept to intellectual property as much as the next guy; I mean, I created this blog and everything in it is written by yours truly, and I would certainly be upset if someone copied and pasted one of my articles to their blog and took the credit, but it'd be quite easy to fight back and prove that it was I that created it.

Someone seeing my blogs and enjoying them for free? Well, that's the entire point of blogging in the first place; to write down your thoughts, spread it on the Internet, hope to get large exposure and maybe even be noticed as someone who could make good money in some field of writing.

I, myself, have considered becoming a journalist and/or author following graduation, and I have decided that being an author on the side may be interesting, but journalism just doesn't seem right for me.

I'm thinking somewhere along the lines of politics if all goes well.

Anyways, as I was saying, if I were to become a small-time musician I would intentionally be attempting to spread my music out there for people to download and enjoy for free, but it would be done as an attempt to get both national and international exposure.

In all honesty if I began writing and performing music, I wouldn't be doing it for money even in the slightest. I'd do it for free if I had the chance, but a little side money is certainly nothing to complain about.
I mean, to me, it wouldn't matter if I made 25 cents or 25 million from my songs, I certainly wouldn't complain either way, and would probably be pretty damn satisfied with 25 million.
If I was to become popular, I would continue my music career just as I started it; as a part-time, on the side sort of thing. Unless I made enough money to set myself for life, I would be sure to keep the music thing as nothing BUT a part time thing I'd do just for fun.

I do understand the concept of intellectual property and I can see how downloading someones music without the artist making any gain can insult some people, but come on, in all honesty, is it really that big of a deal? The creator gets notice and exposure, the downloader gets a cool new song to listen to, and a cool new artist to get interested in, the creator doesn't lose anything and in fact actually gains renown.
Sorry to the people who get into music for the money, but it was never meant to be for the money and for that you deserve to gain nothing. If you get into music for the money, it has to be justified; like, you want to make some extra side money to help save up for that new boat, in that case as long as you aren't expecting to become famous or make loads of money its alright to get into music mainly for the income on the side.

For these reasons I will fight back in court if I'm sued to illegally downloading intellectual property.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

The world is meaningless,

there is no God or gods, there are no morals, the universe is not moving inexorably towards any higher purpose.
All meaning is man-made, so make your own, and make it well.
Do not treat life as a way to pass the time until you die.
Do not try to "find yourself", you must make yourself.
Choose what you want to find meaningful and live, create, love, hate, cry, destroy, fight and die for it.
Do not let your life and your values and your actions slip easily into any mold, other that that which you create for yourself, and say with conviction, "This is who I make myself".
Do not give in to hope.
Remember that nothing you do has any significance beyond that with which you imbue it.
Whatever you do, do it for its own sake.
When the universe looks on with indifference, laugh, and shout back, "Fuck You!".
Rembember that to fight meaninglessness is futile, but fight anyway, in spite of and because of its futility.
The world may be empty of meaning, but it is a blank canvas on which to paint meanings of your own.
Live deliberately. You are free.