Pages

Monday, April 27, 2009

Swine Influenza

In the past few days, the world has been under the tense grip of a new strain of the already infamous Swine Influenza. It's not the first time this very virus has caused quite a scare; back in 1976, President Gerald Ford was faced with the very real threat of a possible Swine Flu pandemic; lucky for us, it was contained and dealt with accordingly, and few died because of it.

The current fear, though, is effecting everyone both directly and indirectly, whether through the extra dent it adds to the whole economic crisis, or through the actual sickness itself, it's causing quite a commotion. I, myself, am a good example of this; earlier today in my English class, just as the bell rang, I began to feel extremely dizzy and lightheaded, and my head felt as if it were burning up. I began to panic to a slight extent as I felt like I was going to collapse; the teacher told me to sit down and just breath deeply while someone went to get the Vice Principal to assist me in walking to the Medical Room.
Having seen that the Swine Flu itself had reached British Columbia via some returning exchange students, I jumped to the conclusion that I may have caught it somehow. This increased my anxiety, and I'm sure it contributed to some of the extra dizziness. They called my mom, and she took me to Emergency to get checked out; it turned out I didn't have Swine Flu, and it didn't seem that I had a flu of any sort, but may have a slight cold instead.
This relieved me to quite an extent, but didn't seem to cease my feeling dizzy.
As a precautionary measure, I was brought home for the rest of the day and am writing to you directly from my mothers laptop.

I'm sure it was the best thing to stay home as to be sure I wouldn't faint while on the stairs or during class, but it still goes to show how something like the Swine Flu can act as quite a scare.

Right now, Mexico is getting the absolute brunt of the possible pandemic, with over 100 people dead, schools closed down until May, and people forced to wear medical masks as to protect themselves from exposure.
In fact, a Mexican friend of mine (that big sister I told you about in the post Six Days) school has closed down until the tentative date of May 6th, and her father isn't allowing her out of the house as a precautionary measure. Probably a good idea, but it doesn't change the fact that she's going to be quite bored for awhile.

Anyways, thats all I really have to say on the subject for the time being, and I wish only the best to those who have the flu, send my condolences to the families who have lost a son or daughter to this sickness, and hope that it won't get any worse then it is right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

The world is meaningless,

there is no God or gods, there are no morals, the universe is not moving inexorably towards any higher purpose.
All meaning is man-made, so make your own, and make it well.
Do not treat life as a way to pass the time until you die.
Do not try to "find yourself", you must make yourself.
Choose what you want to find meaningful and live, create, love, hate, cry, destroy, fight and die for it.
Do not let your life and your values and your actions slip easily into any mold, other that that which you create for yourself, and say with conviction, "This is who I make myself".
Do not give in to hope.
Remember that nothing you do has any significance beyond that with which you imbue it.
Whatever you do, do it for its own sake.
When the universe looks on with indifference, laugh, and shout back, "Fuck You!".
Rembember that to fight meaninglessness is futile, but fight anyway, in spite of and because of its futility.
The world may be empty of meaning, but it is a blank canvas on which to paint meanings of your own.
Live deliberately. You are free.