Pages

Monday, August 8, 2011

Oops.

Well, I thought I'd give everyone one of my famous and traditional 'quick updates' on how I've been and what I've been up to for the last while.

As to quickly get you all up to speed on why this post is cryptically titled "Oops," I feel a bit ridiculous and irresponsible today regarding my attendance record at the work experience program I'm a part of known as Bladerunners; designed to assist 'youth with boundaries' to find work by being paid $150 a week to gain certain work-place certification such as basic First Aid Training, a Pleasure Craft Operators License, a Foodsafe certificate, and WHMIS (Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System) training and certification. Technically, the only real boundary I suffer from is a lack of real (or consistent) work experience. As such, I was probably one of the last priorities on the list of applicants, but I got in anyways.
Anyways, returning to the issue with my attendance record, I was sick with some sort of dizzy 'I-could-believably-be-in-a-dream' bug for the majority of last week, finally feeling better enough to return on Friday which ended-up being a half-day that was over by noon. In addition, I got a $90 deducted pay regardless; sweet deal.

And then today, after checking the program's calendar to make sure I knew what we were doing, I saw we would be training to get our Pleasure Craft Operators License, yet no location was specified on the sheet, so I assumed we would all be meeting at the Vancouver Island College (in Powell River, for those of you who may assume otherwise), which is our general base of operations. Upon arriving, I noticed no one was there, and quickly texted the facilitator only to discover that everyone was on another side of town (St. Johns Ambulance in Townsite) finishing-off the extended certification to the basic First Aid we had already done 2 weeks prior (which was AED, or Automated External Defibrillator training).

I felt ridiculous, because although I don't remember having received the memo that we were re-doing our AED training workshop today, I should have taken the hint that the Pleasure Craft Operators License training had been post-poned, as the facilitator had already informed all of us on Friday that we would be shopping for formal clothes to wear to workplace interviews on this afternoon.
Perhaps it's an innocent mistake, but considering it's a 6 week course, and I missed practically all of last week... discovering that I showed up in a completely different part of town then I was supposed to just makes me feel like a complete dolt.

Aw well, I guess.. it happens.
I'll just be sure not to let it happen again. That's really all I can do.

As for the AED extended training and certification, I'll just get that on my own dime and my own time after I've completed the remainder of the course. At least I still have my basic First Aid, and that's definitely better than nothing.

My love life, on the other hand, is looking brighter. That's not to say it's blossoming, but it's definitely got some potential sparks that may or may not start a fire, whether intentional or not. But we'll see. Whatever happens, happens... and I'll be quite satisfied and happy either way.

Life aside from (and including) all of the above is going generally quite well. I've overcome whatever sickness I had last week, it's beautiful and sunny out, and I'm bracing myself to move down to the Lower Mainland with a friend of mine come September to live with him and his mom for a couple months in order to get on my feet.

I hope all of you who made it this far in reading this comparatively uninteresting post are having a great summer. To all of you who are returning to school in the fall, whether it's elementary, middle, high school, or even college or university... make the most of it, and absorb as much as you can. Learning is definitely a beautiful privilege to have.

And for those of you who are simply returning to, or beginning work in the fall... the experience is what counts! And don't stick with any job you can't stand for any longer then a month or two. There are interesting and generally fun jobs out there, you just have to be courageous enough to look!

As for the few of you who may be going on some sort of adventure somewhere, I envy you! In the friendliest way possible, of course. Enjoy where life takes you, and make the most out of all you come across. Soak in the sight, and live to your fullest.

Have a great August, blue planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

The world is meaningless,

there is no God or gods, there are no morals, the universe is not moving inexorably towards any higher purpose.
All meaning is man-made, so make your own, and make it well.
Do not treat life as a way to pass the time until you die.
Do not try to "find yourself", you must make yourself.
Choose what you want to find meaningful and live, create, love, hate, cry, destroy, fight and die for it.
Do not let your life and your values and your actions slip easily into any mold, other that that which you create for yourself, and say with conviction, "This is who I make myself".
Do not give in to hope.
Remember that nothing you do has any significance beyond that with which you imbue it.
Whatever you do, do it for its own sake.
When the universe looks on with indifference, laugh, and shout back, "Fuck You!".
Rembember that to fight meaninglessness is futile, but fight anyway, in spite of and because of its futility.
The world may be empty of meaning, but it is a blank canvas on which to paint meanings of your own.
Live deliberately. You are free.